Colonoscopy In Children: Should Or Should Not?
A colonoscopy is a procedure that involves putting a flexible plastic tube with a camera and light on the tip of the tube to look at the internal structures of the colon. This is a very effective procedure for detecting abnormalities in the colon and colonoscopy is also used to treat abnormalities such as polyps. However, with young children this method is completely safe? Please refer to the following article.
Why do children need colonoscopy?
Doctors will recommend a colonoscopy when a child has suspected gastrointestinal disease such as ulcers, bleeding, polyps, foreign bodies, and infections. Some common reasons are as follows:
Persistent unexplained diarrhea;
Anemia of unknown etiology;
Lesions around the anus (fistula, abscess
Suspected colorectal lesions;
Suspect colorectal polyps;
Suspected inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or bleeding colitis);
Foreign body colorectal area
Endoscopy helps doctors see clearly the mucosal lesions in the heart of the rectum that tests like ultrasound, X-ray, CT scan .
.. cannot be investigated. From there, the doctor can observe the abnormalities happening inside the intestine to diagnose the digestive disease most accurately and provide the most appropriate treatment for the child.
Colonoscopy is painless, and most children can go home the day after the colonoscopy.
Colonoscopy is done like?
The child will be under general anesthetic and will sleep during the scan.
The doctor will insert the scope from the anus into the child's rectum and colon to observe and take abnormal pictures
Some cases can be treated with laparoscopy, such as polyps, hemostasis or foreign body removal.
Endoscopy time: 20 - 30 minutes depending on the case.
At the end of the colonoscopy, the child will wake up shortly and have almost no discomfort. However, children need to be monitored at the hospital for at least 2 hours to ensure safety. The doctor will examine the baby again before discharge or leave the hospital for follow-up if needed.
The case should not endoscopy
Colonic endoscopy is a very effective and necessary method to detect the disease status and level. However, there are also cases where children should not use this method as:
- When a child is having a fever or has a cold, there is no endoscopy.
- When the baby's medical condition cannot tolerate anesthesia and screening such as: respiratory failure, infection.
- When your baby has peritonitis, severe colitis or when they have just undergone colon surgery, this method is not used.
When children have a cold or high fever should not endoscopy
Does colonoscopy in children have any dangerous complications?
Colonoscopy is very common and quite safe.
However, this procedure is more difficult and more complicated than upper gastroscopy because the lower gastrointestinal tract is long and has angled sections.
In addition, any procedure has a number of risks, and depends on the health of the child.
Allergic reactions to anesthetic, inhalation, biopsy bleeding, polyps, infection and intestinal perforation are very rare.
Usually, the gastroenterologist and anesthesiologist will carefully examine the child before deciding to perform colonoscopy to ensure the safest for the child during the procedure.
What to prepare when conducting colonoscopy for children
For the colonoscopy to be successful and successful, parents need to accompany the baby to have a thorough mental preparation, willpower, health, nutrition, and previous procedures. endoscopy required by the doctor
- 7 days before the colonoscopy: Parents should stop having iron-containing medicines.
Other medicines can be used normally until the day of colonoscopy, but to be assured, parents need to talk with their doctor about this issue.
- 3 days before endoscopy: parents should abstain from seed foods such as tomatoes, cucumbers and nuts. Abstain from canned beverages, carbonated beverages, and stimulant-related beverages such as milk tea, should only use filtered water during this time.
- 1 day before colonoscopy: All foods must be complied with the time specified by the doctor in the appointment. Do not eat foods high in fiber.
- The day of colonoscopy: to ensure the baby's intestines are clean for the colonoscopy, the doctor will give an enema to push out the debris out, preventing them from obscuring the view during the colonoscopy. Or your doctor may ask your child to take laxatives in pill or liquid form.
Notes on nutrition before colonoscopy
- Before the colonoscopy, parents should not give their children solid, solid foods that contain lots of fiber such as cereals, nuts, bread, vegetables, meat, etc.
- Do not drink milk, orange juice, pineapple juice.
- Use clear and light drinks like water, clear broth, apple juice, white grape juice.
The process of conducting endoscopy
General examination before endoscopy for children such as body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...