Diabetes In Pregnant Women
Gestational diabetes is first diagnosed in pregnancy, causing high blood sugar that can affect the pregnancy and the health of the baby.
What is diabetes mellitus?
Diabetes (or diabetes) is a condition where the body cannot make enough insulin or cannot use normal insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps the sugar (glucose) in the blood enter the body's cells for use as energy. When glucose cannot enter cells, it builds up in the blood, which leads to high blood sugar (hyperglycemia).
High blood sugar can cause problems throughout the body. It can damage blood vessels and nerves, causing damage to the eyes, kidneys and heart. During early pregnancy, high blood sugar levels can lead to birth defects in babies.
There are 3 types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes: is an autoimmune disorder
- Type 2 diabetes: When the body cannot make enough insulin or does not use insulin properly. It is not an autoimmune disease.
Gestational diabetes: This is a condition in which blood sugar levels rise and other diabetes symptoms appear in pregnancy in a woman who has not been previously diagnosed with diabetes.
Symptoms of gestational diabetes
For most women, gestational diabetes does not cause noticeable signs or symptoms, constant thirst, and frequent urination rather than possible symptoms.
If possible, seek medical care sooner when deciding to become pregnant so your doctor can check the risk of gestational diabetes along with the overall health of the mother. During pregnancy, your doctor will check your risk of gestational diabetes as part of prenatal care. In case of pregnant women with gestational diabetes, they will have to be checked more frequently
Causes of gestational diabetes
Normally, different hormones work to control blood sugar but during pregnancy, hormone levels change, making it difficult for the body to process blood sugar more efficiently.
In addition, during pregnancy, an organ called the placenta provides the baby with nutrients and oxygen, the placenta also produces hormones. At the end of pregnancy, the hormones estrogen, cortisol and placenta can stop insulin. When insulin is blocked, it is called insulin resistance. At this time, glucose cannot enter body cells and exists in the blood and cause blood sugar to rise.
There are also risk factors that make some women at higher risk of gestational diabetes:
- Overweight and obesity
- Lack of physical activity
- Pre-gestational diabetes or prediabetes before pregnancy
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- History of diabetes of family members
Some women who have prediabetes before pregnancy are called prenatal diabetes. Other women may have a type of diabetes that only occurs during pregnancy called gestational diabetes.
Improper diet that causes obesity weight gain is one of the causes of diabetes
Complications of gestational diabetes
Gestational diabetes without proper care and management can lead to high blood sugar levels that can cause problems for the mother and fetus.
Complications can affect the fetus
Excess weight at birth: A higher than normal blood sugar level in a pregnant woman can cause the baby to grow too large, increasing the likelihood of perineal inflammation during labor.
- Preterm birth: High blood sugar may increase the risk of early labor in pregnant women
- Severe shortness of breath: Babies born early in mothers with gestational diabetes may experience respiratory distress syndrome - a condition that causes breathing difficulties
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia): Sometimes babies of mothers with gestational diabetes have low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) soon after birth. Severe episodes of hypoglycemia can cause seizures in a child.
- Being prone to obesity and type 2 diabetes in later life: Babies of mothers with gestational diabetes are at higher risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes than normal.
- stillbirth: Untreated gestational diabetes can lead to the death of a baby before or right after birth.
Gestational diabetes affects both mother and baby
Complications can affect pregnant women
High blood pressure and pre-eclampsia: Gestational diabetes increases the risk of high blood pressure, as well as preeclampsia - a serious pregnancy complication caused by high blood pressure and other symptoms that can threaten threaten the lives of both mother and baby
- cesarean section: Pregnant women with gestational diabetes will increase the risk of cesarean section because the fetus is too big.
- Risk of future diabetes: If you have gestational diabetes, you are more likely to have it again in the next pregnancy and also at risk of type 2 diabetes. shift. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...