Fever In The Elderly And How To Handle
Due to the aging process of the body, the elderly often suffer from some chronic diseases such as: hypertension, myocardial ischemia, diabetes, depression, tremor of the elderly, Parkinson's ... so when fever in the elderly If you do not know how to handle it immediately to raise the temperature too high, the elderly can experience catastrophic events due to changes in body temperature that affect these conditions.
Using methods to cool down at home early and properly will help the elderly avoid dangerous catastrophes.
Promptly cool to cool down
- When the elderly appear symptoms such as: dry lips, thirst, rapid breathing, sweating need a thermometer right away, if fever is above 38oC, immediately prepare a means to reduce fever at home.
- Mild fever is when the temperature is from 37.6oC to 37
9oC, it is called a high fever when the temperature is from 39oC and above.
- If the elderly have a mild fever, they must cool down immediately. Cool wiping is an effective, easy, and inexpensive way to reduce fever and also works very well.
- How to do as follows: Use a handkerchief to dip in a basin of cold water, squeeze the water to cover the forehead, the sides of the armpit ... These are the places that go through the large blood vessels, so when applying cool to those locations, cooling will be faster so the fever will lessen, sometimes for the patient to lie on their side to wipe the back
- Limit the towel to the chest or back because when the fever is reduced, the patient will easily cough.
Constantly turning the towel, when the patient feels more comfortable, less uncomfortable in the body, you should check the temperature and wipe each arm dry lightly.
- It is recommended to allow 10 - 15 minutes to re-pair the temperature to avoid the mistake of thinking that the fever has cooled down because the cold towel reduces the skin temperature on the spot but the body temperature is still high.
- Do not cover the blanket, do not wear more clothes or warm clothes because the more makes the temperature in people rise.
- The use of fever and antipyretics is temporary. After the temperature has cooled down, the patient should be taken to a doctor for examination and given the necessary tests to find out the cause of the fever and be treated better.
Many complications due to fever in the elderly
Cases of fever in the elderly often occur such as: cognitive disorders such as drowsiness, delirium, urinary incontinence or aggravation of cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, diabetes ...
and the duration of treatment will last longer.
The body of the elderly when the temperature fluctuations, the thermoregulation also changes even with common causes such as a mild infection also causes a sudden increase in temperature that sometimes affects the nervous system.
In a mild degree, fever can cause headaches, dizziness, impaired mind, if it is severe, it will cause consciousness disorders, delirium, convulsions, urinary incontinence ...
Affecting the digestive system, fever will make eating worse, anorexia, vomiting, abdominal pain, bitter tongue and white moss ...
Older people with fever also have less urine, hot, dark urine, sometimes leading to difficulty urinating, shortness of breath, cough, shortness of breath ...
In the cardiovascular system, a fever that causes the heart to beat faster and stronger may result in a higher blood pressure, myocardial ischemia may be more severe, there may be cardiac arrhythmias, etc. happens to elderly people have a sudden high fever.
Antipyretic drugs must be prescribed by a doctor
When fever occurs in the elderly, paracetamol can be used as 0.5g oral tablet or effervescent tablet or anal tablet to reduce fever.
When using effervescent tablets, dissolve the tablet in a glass of boiling water and allow it to dissolve.
Because effervescent tablets contain a content of sodium bicarbonate, elderly people have some chronic diseases such as hypertension, kidney ... when used, they must be prescribed by a doctor. The average dose of paracetamol for adults is 0.5g once, 2-4 times / day.
Paracetamol is a popular medicine, easy to use but if overdosed and used long term, the drug still has many side effects and complications are quite dangerous, especially in the elderly.
Therefore, when the elderly have a fever, they need to be cooled down with medicines, they must be used according to the doctor's instructions.
- The World Health Organization has warned of an antibiotic crisis, meaning that antibiotics will become more and more useless due to drug-resistant bacteria. We could soon run out of all new antibiotics and start dying from infections that we learned to treat 100 years ago. The catastrophe could be ...According to Assoc. Dr. Tran Dac Phu, complicated changes of pathogens caused by viruses and bacteria are the cause of many diseases (especially in the summer) in many countries, including Vietnam. Mr. Phu shared, besides the diseases that have been eliminated, such as smallpox, polio, neonatal ...According to Assoc. On the one hand, acknowledging the results achieved in the prevention of epidemics in Vietnam over the past time, Mr. Tran Dac Phu still expressed his concern about the constant change of viruses and bacteria, especially in summer time. Hot weather combined with other factors ...Avoid going outdoors when the sun is hot in the middle of the day, trying to drink enough water with little other feeling, wear anti-glare glasses ... are things the elderly should pay attention to during the dry season to limit the risk of stroke. Lan Lan () Lan Lan () According to the search key: ...80% of the population suffers from life back problems, low back pain is the most common cause of disability in the world. Le Nguyen (Theo Visually) According to theNew US research shows that divorced people are at a higher risk of heart attack than groups of the same age who are maintaining marriage. Photo: BBC. The study, published in the journal Circulation, argues that the chronic stress caused by divorce has long-term effects on a person's overall health. ...Passive smoking increases the risk of gum disease by 62%, according to new research by the University of North Carolina scientists. The above results are drawn after analyzing the medical records of more than 3,000 non-smokers aged 20. Volunteers are given oral examination and blood samples are ...Scientists have taken breathing air samples from hundreds of patients to analyze the chemical integration, helping to detect the potential risk of stomach cancer. Stomach cancer can be detected early through the breath. Photo: BBC. According to the BBC, stomach cancer affects about 7,300 people in ...Avoid spicy and sour foods until the sores heal. You can rinse your mouth with warm, thin salt water 2 times a day. An oral ulcer can be a manifestation of many diseases such as canker sores (often referred to as canker sores), ulcers caused by the herpes virus, ulcers caused by bacteria that cause ...Sunstroke, boils, diarrhea, malaria ... are children's diseases that can be encountered in the summer and you can completely help prevent them in a number of simple and effective ways. Sun stroke Summer can be great for kids because it's not learning and just having fun makes them excited. Children ...