Hashimoto Thyroiditis – Dangerous Disease
The thyroid gland is an organ of the endocrine system, it produces two main hormones, T3 and T4, which play an important role in regulating the activity of some organs in the body such as the cardiovascular system, nervous system and system. digest ... as well as metabolizing carbohydrates, fats, proteins ...
A chronic inflammation of the thyroid gland (Hashimoto's thyroiditis) often results in a gradual damage to the thyroid gland, a decrease in the ability of the thyroid hormone to produce hypothyroidism
Symptoms: Hashimoto's thyroiditis has many symptoms but none of them are specific.
The disease usually progresses silently over many years, progressing gradually to hypothyroidism.
At that time, the patient showed symptoms of abnormalities and mainly symptoms of hypothyroidism. The symptoms are more or less severe or severe depending on the degree of hypothyroidism.
At first, patients often just feel tired, light weight gain, which many people think is a sign of old age. But when the disease gets worse, more and more severe symptoms cause the patient to see a doctor, which is: Fatigue; Scare cold; Severe constipation; Dry, pale skin; The face is round; Raucous; Unexplained weight gain despite anorexia, the level of weight gain usually ranges from 5 to 10 kg, mainly due to fluid retention; Muscle pain, stiffness in the shoulder and thigh muscles accompanied by muscle weakness, especially the lower extremities; Menstrual disorders, usually menstruation; Depression, drowsiness; The thyroid gland is often large (causing a goiter) but may also shrink, so a special examination of the thyroid will not reveal anything special.
If left untreated, symptoms will worsen and the thyroid gland will become enlarged, accompanied by forgetful patients, impaired memory, sluggish functioning, etc., which can be confused with mental illness
Some patients, especially older patients, may be comatose due to hypothyroidism (very severe).
There are also patients who were discovered by accident when testing found high blood fat, ineffective treatment. At that time, the physician was looking for the cause of dyslipidemia and detected hypothyroidism.
What are the complications of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?
Left untreated, Hashimoto's thyroiditis can greatly affect the health of the patient and cause complications such as goiter, cardiovascular disease, mental illness, edema and possibly birth defects in mothers. Hashimoto disease without treatment.
- The direction of Hashimoto thyroiditis depends on whether or not the patient has hypothyroidism. If there is no evidence of thyroid hormone deficiency, the patient does not need any treatment but needs regular examinations for early detection and timely treatment of hypothyroidism. So far, no medicine has the effect of treating Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
- For patients with hormone deficiency (with hypothyroidism) will be treated with synthetic thyroid hormone replacement, the drug has the same structure and effects of natural hormones produced by the thyroid.
- Usually after a short treatment, patients will feel less tired but to completely improve symptoms and test results (T4, TSH, cholesterol ...) to normal, it takes 3-6 months.
- Adjust the dose: Once hypothyroidism has occurred, patients with Hashimoto thyroiditis need lifetime replacement hormone therapy.
To make sure the dose works, patients need to be tested and evaluated regularly, perhaps monthly during the initial period until the appropriate dose is determined and then annually. Taking too high or too low doses of thyroxin is not good and can affect health.
Often patients start using low doses and then increase based on test results.
The target and also the thyroxin dose adjustment indicator is blood TSH, preferably at 0.5 - 2.5 U / l. Patients should remember that medication should not be taken in the morning on the day of the examination for accurate testing..
- The World Health Organization has warned of an antibiotic crisis, meaning that antibiotics will become more and more useless due to drug-resistant bacteria. We could soon run out of all new antibiotics and start dying from infections that we learned to treat 100 years ago. The catastrophe could be ...According to Assoc. Dr. Tran Dac Phu, complicated changes of pathogens caused by viruses and bacteria are the cause of many diseases (especially in the summer) in many countries, including Vietnam. Mr. Phu shared, besides the diseases that have been eliminated, such as smallpox, polio, neonatal ...According to Assoc. On the one hand, acknowledging the results achieved in the prevention of epidemics in Vietnam over the past time, Mr. Tran Dac Phu still expressed his concern about the constant change of viruses and bacteria, especially in summer time. Hot weather combined with other factors ...Avoid going outdoors when the sun is hot in the middle of the day, trying to drink enough water with little other feeling, wear anti-glare glasses ... are things the elderly should pay attention to during the dry season to limit the risk of stroke. Lan Lan () Lan Lan () According to the search key: ...80% of the population suffers from life back problems, low back pain is the most common cause of disability in the world. Le Nguyen (Theo Visually) According to theNew US research shows that divorced people are at a higher risk of heart attack than groups of the same age who are maintaining marriage. Photo: BBC. The study, published in the journal Circulation, argues that the chronic stress caused by divorce has long-term effects on a person's overall health. ...Passive smoking increases the risk of gum disease by 62%, according to new research by the University of North Carolina scientists. The above results are drawn after analyzing the medical records of more than 3,000 non-smokers aged 20. Volunteers are given oral examination and blood samples are ...Scientists have taken breathing air samples from hundreds of patients to analyze the chemical integration, helping to detect the potential risk of stomach cancer. Stomach cancer can be detected early through the breath. Photo: BBC. According to the BBC, stomach cancer affects about 7,300 people in ...Avoid spicy and sour foods until the sores heal. You can rinse your mouth with warm, thin salt water 2 times a day. An oral ulcer can be a manifestation of many diseases such as canker sores (often referred to as canker sores), ulcers caused by the herpes virus, ulcers caused by bacteria that cause ...Sunstroke, boils, diarrhea, malaria ... are children's diseases that can be encountered in the summer and you can completely help prevent them in a number of simple and effective ways. Sun stroke Summer can be great for kids because it's not learning and just having fun makes them excited. Children ...