Hepatic Encephalopathy: Causes, Classifications And Symptoms
Hepatic encephalopathy is extremely serious when it leads to changes in a person's behavior, mental state and nervous system, the most dangerous being a coma and death.
What is hepatic encephalopathy?
Hepatic encephalopathy or hepatic coma is a disorder of consciousness, behavior, and coma caused by hepatic dysfunction. The disease is caused by metabolic disorders of the central nervous system due to toxins that are not metabolized and eliminated by the liver because of impaired liver function. Hepatic encephalopathy is also a sign that the liver is weakening too badly.
Causes of hepatic encephalopathy
The cause of hepatic encephalopathy is divided into exogenous and endogenous.
Patients on long-term intravenous feeding eat too much protein or too much infusion
Severe gastrointestinal bleeding
Using strong diuretics causes dehydration and hypokalemia.
Use hepatotoxic drugs: tetracycline, anti-tuberculosis drugs, sedatives, hypnotics, antihypertensive drugs, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Patients with cirrhosis after surgery
Infections of the liver, bile, kidneys, lungs, intestines.
Extraction of ascites: due to too many times or too many times reduce the amount of blood circulating through the liver
Conditions such as fulminant hepatitis, toxic hepatitis, liver cancer or end-stage cirrhosis cause severe and widespread liver damage
Hepatitis (hepatitis B, hepatitis C), autoimmune hepatitis or Reye's syndrome destroys liver cells
Patients with cirrhosis also use sedatives, analgesics
With severe hepatic impairment or by a portal stenosis, the blood is not metabolized by the liver cells from the portal to the liver, gradually becoming toxins that disrupt the metabolism of brain tissue.
Liver diseases can lead to hepatic encephalopathy
Subjects at high risk for hepatic encephalopathy
In addition to the causes of hepatic encephalopathy, the following subjects are at high risk for the disease:
People lose water, electrolyte imbalance
Eat too much protein, protein
There is hypoxemia
Use central nervous system inhibitors (such as barbiturates or benzodiazepine tranquilizers)
People with cirrhosis
Classification and symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy
According to the West Haven classification system, hepatic encephalopathy is divided into 5 stages corresponding to the specific symptoms as follows:
- Personality and behavior do not change significantly
- Mild mental distraction
- Personality changing, irritable
- The ability to think, concentration and intelligence is reduced, confusing slightly
- Shaky appearance
- Personality changes
- Disorientation in time, slow, great difficulty in thinking
- Trembling symptoms more clearly, easily exhausted
- Frequent drowsiness (but easy to wake up)
- Can not work minds, lost orientation of space and time
- In a coma
- Inability to exercise
- Can not work brain
Coma is the final stage of hepatic encephalopathy
Diagnosis of hepatic encephalopathy
Implementing the quadrants
The definitive diagnosis is made based on the symptoms of the disease:
Committing incomplete behavior
There is known liver disease
Metabolic encephalopathy: diabetes mellitus (hypoglycemia, ketoacidosis), hypoxemia
Hepatic encephalopathy due to drug poisoning, alcohol intoxication
Hepatic encephalopathy due to neurological infection, trauma and stroke
Is hepatic encephalopathy treatable?
Decreased production and absorption of ammonia in the intestine
Diets reduced protein, supplemented with branched amino acids
Drugs: Lactulose, antibiotics
Increase ammonia elimination
Use drugs that increase the elimination of ammonia through the kidneys: arginine and ornithine, sodium benzoate.
Adjust risk factors
Dehydration, reducing circulating volume
Gastrointestinal bleeding: resolving bleeding by blood transfusion, support
Diarrhea, vomiting: rehydration, electrolytes
Suction large fluid: rehydration, electrolytes
Diuretics lose a lot of potassium: potassium compensation, stop diuretics
Stop sedatives, depressants
Build a diet low in protein and high in fiber. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...