How Much Folic Acid Does Pregnant Women Need Each Day?
Folic acid is essential for the baby's spinal and nervous system development, helping prevent birth defects including spina bifida and deformities such as cleft palate or cleft lip.
Why is folic acid important in pregnancy?
Folic acid is a form of B vitamin found in many supplements and supplements. It has a synthetic form of folate. Folic acid is used by the body to create new cells and make DNA, necessary for the body's normal growth and development.
Taking folic acid is especially important before and during pregnancy, supporting fetal development.
Research shows that taking folic acid before pregnancy can help prevent birth defects including serious neural tube defects like spina bifida, encephalocele (rarely) and encephalopathy.
What are the health benefits of taking folic acid during pregnancy?
Prevent birth defects
About 3,000 babies are born with neural tube defects in the United States each year. Typically, the neural tube develops into the spinal cord and brain after 28 days of conception
If the neural tube is not closed properly, neural tube defects will occur.
Psychosis is a condition in which the brain doesn't develop properly. A baby born with brain disease cannot survive. Babies born with spina bifida or encephalocele may face surgeries, paralysis and long-term disability.
According to experts' evaluation, pregnant women folic acid supplementation will significantly reduce the risk of congenital heart defects.
In addition, early folic acid supplementation during pregnancy can help prevent cleft palate and cleft palate. These birth defects occur if parts of the mouth and lips do not merge together during the first 6 to 10 weeks of pregnancy.
Folic acid supplements to prevent fetal malformations
Folic acid's vital role is to supply blood cells to the body, helping to create new cells, including red blood cells
So, during pregnancy, it is necessary to provide adequate folic acid for pregnant women and fetuses to prevent anemia, prevent miscarriage, premature birth, postpartum psychosis syndrome, impaired fetal nutrition or cardiovascular diseases, cleft palate for infants.
Reduce the risk of cancer
Folic acid also contributes to reducing the risk of cancer-related diseases such as breast, colon and cervical cancer.
Prevent some other pathologies
Folic acid is also used to prevent a number of conditions such as dementia, dementia, age-related hearing loss, reduced signs of aging, weak bones (osteoporosis), restless legs, trouble sleeping, depression. cold, nerve pain, muscle aches, AIDS, vitiligo and Fragile-X syndrome
Dosage of folic acid for pregnant women
The recommended dose of folic acid for all women of childbearing age is 400 mcg daily. If a pregnant woman is taking a multivitamin daily, check to see if it has the recommended amount of folic acid.
Here is the recommended daily dose of folic acid in pregnancy:
- During pregnancy: 400 mcg
- In the first 3 months of pregnancy: 400 mcg
- In 4 to 9 months of pregnancy: 600 mcg
- During lactation: 500 mcg
Taking folic acid after you find out you are pregnant may not be early enough. Many women do not realize they are 6 weeks or more pregnant. Neural tube defects can occur during the first month of pregnancy, usually before you realize you are pregnant.
Folic acid should be supplemented in the right dosage
To ensure you have enough folic acid in your body to prevent neural tube defects, it is recommended that women planning to become pregnant or of childbearing age should take 400 mcg of folic acid daily.
If you have had a baby with neural tube defects, women may need a higher dose of folic acid.
Subjects requiring higher doses of folic acid:
- Have kidney disease and are on dialysis
- Sickle cell disease
- Liver disease
- Drink lots of alcoholic beverages
- Take medicine to treat epilepsy, type 2 diabetes, lupus, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma or inflammatory bowel disease
Foods rich in folic acid for pregnant women
Eating something delicious, nutritious, and cheap is the concern of many people in general. And for pregnant women, this concern is pushed up one more level, eat more iron or more folic acid for smart children, avoid the risk of neural tube defects.
The following 10 foods contain folic acid, which can ensure a folic acid intake of 400 mcg for adults per day. Folic acid (folate) helps the body form genetic material and red blood cells, which is essential for pregnant women. Therefore, choosing foods rich in folic acid is a must for pregnant women to make a daily note to supplement in their diet.
Different grains contain different amounts of folic acid. When choosing to buy cereal, expectant mothers should pay attention to the percentage of folic acid content in it to choose the type of high percentage, best for their children.
In addition to bread, try flour-based dishes like pasta, crackers, and k cakes. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...