How To Prevent Neural Tube Defects In Pregnant Women Should Be Noted
Fetal neural tube defects are defects that occur when the fetus's brain and spine develop abnormally. The incidence of neural tube defects is high in low-income countries, including Vietnam.
What are neural tube defects in the fetus?
The fetal neural tube is the core foundation for developing a complete nervous system later on, including the brain, skull, spinal cord and spine. The neural tube develops very early, in the 3rd week of pregnancy. Starting on the 18th day of pregnancy, the neural tube will gradually close, until the 28th day of pregnancy the neural tube will be completely closed.
And if this phenomenon does not occur at this time, the neural tube will not close and cause neural tube defects leading to fetal brain and spine defects in the development of after.
The most common types of neural tube defects in an unborn baby
Spina bifida (spina bifida)
Spinal fractures occur when the part of the neural tube that forms the spinal cord and the spinal cord is not closed properly, causing damage to the internal spinal cord.
Children with this malformation often lead to complications such as:
- Paralysis of the lower body difficult to move, or even inactive
- Difficult urination
- Having problems with increased pressure in the skull or hydrocephalus
- Severe spina bifida may lead to death
Cerebral fetus - Conscious pregnancy
This is the most serious neural tube malformation, the brain is severely deformed and the skull is not present
This type of malformation accounts for about 10% of the neural tube defects. Brain herniation occurs when a partial defect in the skull (usually in the occipital area) results in a fluid or cerebral hernia that exposes the skull and is only covered by skin.
A fetus with a brain hernia has a neonatal mortality rate of about 40%, 80% can live if treated properly but will have severe mental and mental disabilities.
Causes of neural tube defects in fetus
Folic acid deficiency
The neural tube should be provided with a sufficient amount of folic acid, which is sufficient for complete development, ie complete closure. If the mother's body does not have enough Folic Acid to supply the fetus, the neural tube will not close, and will cause malformations with manifestations: cleft palate, cleft palate, heart defects, paralysis extremities, hydrocephalus, spina bifida ..
Medical studies have proven that a mother's body is deficient in Folic Acid at the time of conception, which increases the risk of neural tube defects in the fetus.
Because the neural tube developed very early, at that time, the mother herself did not know she was pregnant. Women need to take adequate Folic Acid supplements right from the moment they are about to become pregnant, to ensure blood Folic Acid levels reach the necessary levels right at the time of conception.
Pregnant women can take folic acid supplements during pregnancy with foods
Problems with chromosomal abnormalities are also causes of neural tube defects.
Due to genes and environment
The risk of having a birth defect is higher among mothers who live in polluted environments or have unhealthy living errors during pregnancy such as smoking, frequent exposure to tobacco smoke, working in contact with heat height…
Due to pathology and use of drugs in the mother
Neural tube defects are more likely to occur in mothers with such conditions:
- Having ever had a baby with neural tube defects
- Mother has neural tube defects
- Mother with diabetes must depend on insulin, poor blood sugar control
- Mother has epilepsy and must be treated with valproic or carbamazepine.
Methods to detect neural tube defects in the fetus
By the time the pregnancy is 16 weeks, pregnant women should perform a test of the concentration of AFP in the mother's blood, thereby assessing the risk of malformations of the neural tube or abdominal wall in the fetus.
At 16 weeks of pregnancy, the fetus-produced AFP enters the mother's bloodstream, and all women normally have some AFP in their blood.
If the test results show that more AFP from the fetus enters the mother's bloodstream, the fetus is likely to have an open defect of the neural tube or abdominal wall.
If the test results show that an increase in AFP levels will mean an increased risk of the fetus has an open defect of the neural tube or abdominal wall.
The first time ultrasound will be performed at 8 to 14 weeks, ultrasound to identify whether the fetal spinal problems are related to spinal fractures or to spinal deformities.
Ultrasound and routine testing are a way to detect unborn babies
How to prevent neural tube defects in pregnant women should know
Complement the content of folic acid
Folic acid supplementation before and during pregnancy is considered to be the most effective prevention of neural tube defects.
Depending on the condition of each person, the appropriate amount of folic acid should be added. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...