Iodine Deficiency During Pregnancy And The Unimaginable Harm
Every year, many babies are born with intellectual retardation due to insufficient supply of iodine during pregnancy. This is a warning for all pregnant women.
What is iodine?
Iodine is a nutrient that plays an important role in health. The body always needs iodine to produce enough thyroid hormone, support the body to develop steadily, help the activities of the brain, heart, bones, immune system and metabolism of both mother and fetus. happen normally
Iodine deficiency, mother's health is affected. More seriously, it harms the fetal nervous system. This effect is long lasting and difficult to improve
The role of iodine for the fetus
During fetal development, the thyroid gland plays an important role in fetal brain and nerve cell development.
In particular, nothing can replace that role, iodine is really necessary and important from the stage of embryo formation to the first months of life after the baby is born.
Iodine is the element that helps form thyroid hormones. Therefore, if iodine is deficient, the fetus may experience hypothyroidism, a decrease in the body's metabolism and a reduced ability of the nervous system to develop.
Iodine deficiency not only affects the mother's thyroid gland but also harms the fetus
When pregnant, if the pregnant mother is iodine-deficient, it can lead to pre-eclampsia, excessive bleeding after birth, abnormalities in the cake ... The babies born to these pregnant mothers may be dull, low weight, poor intellectual development
Iodine plays a particularly important role in the development of the baby, especially during pregnancy, the mother's iodine needs increased by about 50% so the mother elected to pay enough attention to the fetus can develop good development.
Mothers need how much iodine
According to the US National Institutes of Health, the maternal iodine content to supplement daily is 220mcg. So, balanced diet, supplement foods rich in iodine to provide sufficient iodine content necessary for mother and fetus.
Signs of being pregnant iodine deficiency
When iodine is deficient, pregnant women will encounter some of the following signs:
- Swollen, sore neck
- Hair and skin problems such as prolonged hair loss and dry, itchy skin
- Uncontrolled weight gain
- Always feel tired and tired
- More sensitive to cold
- Depression and anxiety
These signs are also not so typical for iodine deficiency that they may be indicative of other health abnormalities. To know exactly the situation that she is experiencing, pregnant women should go to a reputable medical facility.
Iodine deficiency during pregnancy can cause birth defects, miscarriage, premature birth
Food for pregnant women is iodine deficient
When diagnosed with iodine deficiency, pregnant women should supplement with iodine-rich foods so that they can provide enough iodine for the needs of the body and meet the needs of the fetus to help children grow up. up healthy.
Foods that moms should add:
- Eat meat, eggs, vegetables (potatoes, white beans, apples) and dairy foods
- Packed breads should be eaten as they often contain high levels of iodine
- Should eat a lot of seafood.
However, some fish such as swordfish, seabass, etc. should be avoided because their meat is high in mercury, harmful to the fetus.
- Use iodized salt in meals every day
- If pregnant women have morning sickness, they cannot eat the above foods, iodine can be supplemented with medicines or functional foods. However, consult your doctor if these drugs are safe for an unborn baby.
How safe is iodine supplementation?
Most pregnant women do not provide enough iodine content for mothers and their unborn babies through diet alone. Therefore, iodine supplementation with functional foods is necessary.
Most doctors believe that iodine supplements are safe for the fetus, so the pregnant women do not need to worry. However, the mother needs to supplement properly and enough doses.
- Pregnant women should supplement about 150mcg of dietary supplements of iodine every day
- If the pregnant mother has been supplementing with iodine due to thyroid problems before becoming pregnant, notify the doctor to ensure the adequate supply.
- Moms should not eat seaweed or seaweed iodine supplements because these foods contain different amounts of iodine and potentially contain mercury, which is harmful to babies.
- During pregnancy, mothers should take prenatal vitamins because they contain iodine. Or you can take a combination of iodine and folate.
Iodine is an important role and needs to be supplemented throughout pregnancy in sufficient amounts
What are the harmful effects of excessive iodine intake?
Iodine is essential and needs adequate supplementation to ensure the health of both mother and fetus. However, it is not necessary to supplement as much as possible because too much iodine supplement can cause many dangerous complications.
According to many studies, if pregnant women get too much iodine, they can cause babies born with hypothyroidism at birth. If not treated promptly, this pathology has.
. Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...