Postpartum Depression: Recognition, Prevention And Treatment
The female body experiences many changes during pregnancy and after childbirth. In particular, life and mental stress are easy to make women fall into depression after childbirth. So how to identify and prevent before it's too late? Let's find out!
What is postpartum depression?
Postpartum depression is an extreme mood disorder related to the thoughts and feelings of postpartum women. Depressed people often have feelings of sadness, emptiness, fatigue, anxiety, fear of their child being harmed or that they themselves may harm the baby. These feelings can range from mild to severe. Sometimes it develops into extreme behavior that is harmful to the mother and her child.
Symptoms identify postpartum depression
Postpartum depression signs and symptoms may include:
- Depressed, restless, moody mood
- Cry a lot
- Away from family and friends
- Anorexia or eating more than usual
- Chronic sleeplessness or excessive sleep
- Excessive fatigue
- There is no excitement or pleasure with the surrounding activities, even if everyday favorites
- Frequent feeling, discomfort and anger
- Always worry that I'm not a good mother
- No interest in the baby or feel that the baby does not seem to be his child
- Reduce memory, reduce the ability to think concentrated or make decisions
- Thinking of harming yourself or the baby
- Think often about death or suicide
If left untreated, postpartum depression can last for months or longer and cause serious consequences.
Depression in postpartum women is common but most women are not self-aware
Postpartum depression caused what?
For mothers with postpartum depression
Untreated postpartum depression can last for months or longer, sometimes becoming a chronic depressive disorder
Women with postpartum depression often:
- Not having enough energy to operate especially in taking care of children
- The mother Can't take care of the baby
- There is a higher risk of suicide
For babies whose mothers suffer from postpartum depression
Children of untreated postpartum depression are more likely to experience emotional and behavioral problems such as:
- Delayed language development and learning issues
- The parent-child connection problem is seriously affected
- There may be abnormal or more provocative behaviors than normal children
- Children may often have negative emotions
- Delayed height development and higher risk of obesity than other children
- Children may often be stressed and have difficulty adjusting to the environment, experiencing social inclusion problems.
A married father with postpartum depression is at high risk for depression. The constant tension in the family affects the psychology, health and happiness of the family.
Women with postpartum depression cause family stress
The causes of postpartum depression
Women with a history of depression before or during pregnancy and especially in previous pregnancies are also at higher risk for postpartum depression.
Hormonal changes during pregnancy and after childbirth can work to increase the risk of postpartum depression.
During pregnancy, levels of female hormones estrogen and progesterone rise. In the first 24 hours after giving birth, hormone levels quickly drop to normal levels
This is similar to hormonal changes before pregnancy and pregnancy.
Thyroid hormone levels may also decrease after birth. The thyroid is a small gland in the neck that helps regulate the way the body uses and stores energy from food. Low levels of thyroid hormone can cause depressive symptoms.
Postnatal women have weaker health than usual. The physical pain (vaginal pain due to incision during childbirth or the pain of a surgical incision, uterine contractions ...
) can affect the mood of women. Prolonged, unsupported pain makes women more irritable, frustrated and increases their sense of disgust for everything, especially their babies.
Other objective factors
A combination of factors such as family financial condition, cramped or crowded living conditions, lack of sharing or care from relatives, especially family partners, family pressure or friends neighbors - who visit the baby, the inexperience in child care ... increase negative emotions from the woman and easily lead to depression.
Not getting enough rest increases the risk of postpartum depression
Treatment of postpartum depression
The therapist often talks with the mother about emotions, thoughts and health to distinguish between short-term postpartum sadness and depression.
To assess the patient's condition, the doctor may:
- Ask you to answer a screening questionnaire about depression
- Blood test to determine if thyroid is functioning
- Other tests that help eliminate these.
. Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...