What Is The Ast (sgot) In The Blood?
The liver has a very complete enzyme system to perform the synthesis and metabolism, called liver enzymes. There are 4 types of liver enzymes: AST, ALT, GGT and AP. When liver cells are more damaged, liver enzymes will increase due to the amount of enzyme released into the blood. Therefore, elevated liver enzymes in the blood is an indicator of the health of your liver.
What is AST (SGOT)?
AST (also known as SGOT) is an enzyme found in liver and kidney cells, appearing in a small number in the heart and muscle and brain
When is the AST test (SGOT)?
The AST test is indicated by the doctor when the patient shows signs of liver damage such as:
- Gold eyes, jaundice, papules
- Fatigue, weakness, anorexia.
- Abdominal bloating or swelling
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Dark urine.
In addition, the doctor also orders this test for cases:
- Suspected infection with hepatitis B
- Taking drugs may cause liver damage
- Excessive use of alcoholic beverages
- Fatty liver not caused by alcohol
- Diabetes or metabolic syndrome.
This test is also used to check the results of treatments.
AST test results (SGOT)
AST increased slightly
A slight increase in AST means that the level of liver damage is still low. Common in cases of acute viral hepatitis, cirrhosis, metastases, or chronic hepatitis, or may be due to biliary obstruction. AST can also increase due to a heart attack or muscle injury.
The AST increased moderately
An index that is 2 to 8 times higher than the average limit is called a moderate increase in AST, common in people with hepatitis due to excessive drinking
AST score goes up
In case of necrotic liver cells such as acute, chronic viral hepatitis, long-term vascular collapse, liver damage caused by chemicals, poisons, AST will increase.
Based on the results of the AST index to assess the degree of liver damage
The reason for the AST increase
- Hepatitis: Including liver A, B, C often appear with high numbers of liver enzymes. The disease manifests itself through infectious symptoms such as abdominal pain, fatigue, jaundice, dark urine
- Autoimmune hepatitis: The liver cells are attacked by the body's own immune system, which leads to inflammation of the liver, thereby increasing liver enzyme indices. The cause of the disease has not been identified, but patients will experience symptoms of fatigue, anorexia, muscle aches, and edema.
- Alcoholic hepatitis: The main cause of elevated liver enzymes. The degree of alcohol damage caused by alcohol is directly proportional to the concentration of liver enzymes.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver: This is the most common cause of elevated liver enzymes but is often ignored by subjective people who think it is benign but could not expect that at the stage of development it can complications such as cirrhosis or liver cancer occur.
- Chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver cancer, obstruction of blood flow to the liver are all causes of elevated liver enzymes.
- Biliary tract disease: Gallstones, cholecystitis, bile duct worms, biliary obstruction often related to liver.
Because when the bile duct is swollen or the bile fluid is blocked, it will affect the liver, causing the enzyme index to increase.
- Drugs: There are many drugs when overdose will cause toxicity, liver damage and increase liver enzymes such as analgesics Aspirin, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Naproxen and antibiotics Amoxicillin, Isoniazid, ...
- There are also a number of causes not related to liver disease that increase liver enzymes such as heart attack, malaria, vigorous exercise, muscle trauma, progressive muscular dystrophy, dermatitis, gangrene, gill pregnancy, acute pancreatitis, pulmonary embolism, hemolytic disease ...
Liver diseases will cause an increase in the AST
Factors that affect the AST test
- Tobacco use will affect the AST when tested
- A broken red blood cell
- Some types of allopurinol, acetaminophen or some antibiotics, oral contraceptives work to increase the concentration of AST in the blood.
Trifluoperazine and metronidazole lower AST activity.
Regular liver enzyme tests will be very helpful for evaluating liver function. However, to accurately diagnose liver diseases, AST is not a specific index but need to perform other tests to coordinate diagnostic analysis.
Address AST testing reputation
Regular checkups are necessary to protect your health, so that you will be diagnosed and monitored by your doctor. You can perform AST tests or liver bile screening packages or specialized biliary examination at Hopital Hospital to detect disease early and treat it promptly.. . Dịch vụ: Thiết kế website, quảng cáo google, đăng ký website bộ công thương uy tín
- Creating a good habit before going to bed will help you have a more comprehensive health and avoid many risks of diseases, in addition to giving you a deep and comfortable sleep. SucKhoe9.Com introduces some healthy bedtime habits for you. Bedtime habits are good for health ...Body age young or old according to experts can be predicted through what you eat, drink, daily activities. Many people think that when you are young, you do not need to worry about aging problems of your body. Some even say that when you turn the age of "hash", you ...Bad habit of forgetting to wash your hands when going to the kitchen Hand washing is essential in getting started in the kitchen for cooking. Washing your hands not clean or forgetting to wash your hands will have a huge impact on your health. Because then the food can be contaminated, ...For health care and protection, the motto of prevention is better than cure is always correct in all cases, you will have a good health, high resistance, an effective immune system if any. A good sense of prevention is also the foundation for you to constantly improve your quality of life and ...Wisdom penis cancer is a common disease, but its dangers are not small. The quick prevention and early treatment will prevent the disease from spreading and is safe for the health of men. Here's how to prevent and treat penile cancer. How to prevent penile cancer: - Vaccination against HPV type ...Breakfast is essential for everyone, providing energy for activities during the day. Also, overnight, your body needs nutrients and food to work back to normal. Waking up in the morning can be difficult for many people, especially those accustomed to working overtime or working late into the ...While many people are in need of weight loss, there are a large number of women who want to gain weight by all means. When hearing the story "want to gain weight", many women will certainly say: "easy". However, for those who are overweight, how easy this is, for those who ...As humans, we all want to live long, sometimes even want life to be eternal. But we ourselves cannot deny the law of creation. So to live longer, we must first have health. Healthy people will have a long life expectancy. So what must we do to have good health? The following 10 methods will help ...Health is the best valuable thing of human. This is especially true for those who are preparing to build a nest. But how to be in good health when you have to deal with a ton of work? Very simple. (SKDS) - Health is the most precious human capital. This is especially true for those who are ...Summer with hot weather easily makes people feel thirsty and cool ice glasses are always attractive. However, drinking ice on a regular basis is not good for your health and it doesn't really relieve your thirst. So how to get into the habit of drinking water properly in hot season. Drink warm ...